Located in the northwestern suburbs of Beijing, Tsinghua University was established in 1911 on the site of “Qing Hua Yuan (Tsinghua Garden)” —a former royal garden of the Qing Dynasty. Partly funded by the “Gengzi Indemnity”, also known as “Boxer Indemnity,” it functioned at first as a preparatory school called “Tsinghua Xuetang (Tsing Hua Imperial College)” for those students who were sent by the government to study in the United States.
On April 29, 1911, Tsinghua Xuetang began its first term of study, and from that year on, the Tsinghua’s anniversary has fallen on the last Sunday of April. The name was changed to “Tsinghua Xuexiao (Tsing Hua College)” after the 1911 Revolution.
In 1925, Tsinghua launched its four-year undergraduate programme. In 1928, its name was changed to “Guoli Tsinghua Daxue (National Tsinghua University),” and in the autumn of 1929 its graduate school was set up.
Following the outbreak of the War of Resistance against Japan in 1937, Tsinghua University, Peking University and Nankai University merged to form the National Southwest Associated University in Kunming. After the war, Tsinghua University moved back to its original Beijing campus.
Three years after the founding of the People’s Republic of China, a nationwide restructuring of institutes of higher education began, and in 1952, Tsinghua University became a multidisciplinary polytechnic university specializing in training engineers. In November of that year, the Ministry of Education appointed Jiang Nanxiang as President.
Since 1978, Tsinghua University has strengthened its teaching in sciences, economic management, humanities and law. In 1999, Tsinghua opened the School of Arts and Design by merging with the Central Academy of Arts and Design. In 2012, the Graduate School of the People's Bank of China (PBC) merged into Tsinghua University as Tsinghua University PBC School of Finance. Today, Tsinghua has become a world-leading comprehensive university that offers subject areas in engineering, science, economics, management, art, medicine, philosophy, law, literature, history and education. Students are provided diversified development paths to advance their critical thinking and entrepreneurship through research-based learning.
Over the past over 100 years, Tsinghua University has witnessed and shared the hardships and glories of the nation. The University’s motto of “Self-discipline and Social Commitment” has inspired many generations of Tsinghua teachers and students to struggle for the prosperity of China.
In 2017, Tsinghua officially released its "Double First-Class (First-Class University & First-Class Disciplines)" development plan. As one of China’s most prestigious and influential universities, Tsinghua is committed to cultivating global citizens who will thrive in today’s world and become tomorrow’s leaders. Through the pursuit of education and research at the highest level of excellence, Tsinghua is developing innovative solutions that will help solve pressing problems in China and the world.
|1911 －||Founding of "Tsing Hua Imperial College", later changed to "Tsing Hua College" (preparatory school for students to study in the USA)|
|1925 －||Launching of four-year undergraduate programme|
|1928 －||"National Tsinghua University" is set up with 16 departments in four schools: the Liberal Arts, Law, Sciences, and Engineering|
|1937 －||Tsinghua moved to Changsha, merging with Peking University and Nankai University to form "Changsha Temporary University"|
|1938 －||Moved to Kunming, changing its name to "National Southwest Associated University"|
|1946 －||Returned to the original campus, "Qing Hua Yuan (Tsinghua Garden)", in Beijing, and founded the School of Agriculture|
|1952 －||Restructured as a polytechnic university after the nationwide restructuring|
|1978 －||Nationwide College Entrance Examination is resumed|
|1984 －||Establishes the first Graduate School in China.|
|― School of Economic Management is formed out of the existing department of management engineering.|
|― School of Sciences resumes on the basis of science departments.|
|1985 －||First School of Continuing Education opens in China|
|1988 －||Establishes School of Architecture|
|1993 －||Former departments and research institutes in the humanities and social sciences merged as School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|1994 －||Establishes School of Information Science and Technology|
|1996 －||Establishes School of Mechanical Engineering|
|1999 －||School of Law reopens|
|― Establishes School of Applied Sciences and Technology|
|― Establishes Academy of Arts and Design by merging with the Central Academy of Arts and Design|
|2000 －||Establishes School of Civil Engineering|
|― Establishes School of Public Policy and Management.|
|2001 －||Establishes School of Medicine|
|2002 －||Establishes School of Journalism and Communication|
|2003 －||Merges Huaxin Hospital and Yuquan Hospital into Tsinghua|
|2004 －||Establishes School of Aerospace|
|2006 －||Peking Union Medical College changed its name to "Peking Union Medical College (Division of Medicine, Tsinghua University)"|
|2008 －||Establishes School of Marxism|
|2009 －||Establishes School of Life Sciences|
|2011 －||Centenary Celebration|
|― Establishes School of Environment|
|2012 －||PBC School of Finance, School of Humanities, School of Social Sciences, School of Materials Science and Engineering established|
|2015 －||· School of Pharmaceutical Sciences established
· Schwarzman College established
|2016 －||· Department of Earth System Science established
· School of Clinical Medicine established
|2017 －||Department of the History of Science established|
· Department of Astronomy established
|2020 －||Vanke School of Public Health established|