Department of Electronic Engineering
Hongwei Chen, Ph. D, Professor
Department of Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Business Address: Rohm Building 3-101
Ph.D., Electronic Engineering, Jun. 2006
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical Engineering, June 2001
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
12/2009-present Associate Professor, Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua Univ.
10/2011-10/2012 Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, UCLA, USA
08/2006-11/2009 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua Univ.
Graduate Advanced Optical Fiber Communication Systems
Graduate Advances in Opto-Electronics
CONFERENCE TPC Member:
IEEE APMP 2009 TPC
SPIE APOC 2008 TPC
OSA CLEO-PR 2007 TPC
SPIE APOC 2007 TPC
SPIE APOC 2005 TPC
IEEE PTL / JLT / JQE, OSA OL/ OE, SPIE OEng
High Speed Optical Fiber Communication System and Devices
• NSFC Project “Integrated optical circuits: test/packaging/system”
Complex Optical Modulation Formats
• NSFC Project “Optical orthogonal frequency multiplexing transmission”
• NSFC International-Cooperation Project “Microwave photonics-based sparse information real-time acquisition”
• Excellent young scientist foundation of NSFC “Microwave Photonics”
High Speed acquisition by photonics
• Tsinghua National Laboratory for Information Science and Technology（TNList）Cross-discipline Foundation “Ultra-fast imaging technique for rare events detection ”
1. Invent the first all-optical-sampling OFDM (AOS-OFDM) with cyclic prefixes in the world.
• Hongwei Chen, Minghua Chen, Shizhong Xie，“All-Optical Sampling Orthogonal Frequency-DivisionMultiplexing Scheme for High-Speed Transmission System”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 27(21), Sept. 2009.
• Hongwei Chen, Xingyao Gu, Feifei Yin, Minghua Chen, Shizhong Xie “5x200Gbit/s all-optical OFDM transmission using a single optical source and optical Fourier transform real-time detection”，Optics Express, 19(22), Oct. 2011.
2. China’s first research on optically generating UWB pulses. Also high frequency milli-meter wave generation by optical methods.
• Hongwei Chen, Minghua Chen, Ciyuan Qiu, Jian zhang, Shizhong Xie， “UWB monocycle pulse generation by optical polarisation time delay method”，Electronics Letters, 43(9), pp 542-543, Apr. 2007.
• Hongwei Chen, Minghua Chen, Tianliang Wang, Mo Li, Shizhong Xie，“Methods for Ultra-wideband Pulse Generation Based on Optical Cross-Polarization Modulation”，Journal of Lightwave Technology, 26(13-16), Aug. 2008.
• Hongwei Chen, Minghua Chen, Ciyuan Qiu, Shizhong Xie，“A novel composite method for ultra-wideband doublet pulses generation”，IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 19(21-24), Nov. 2007.
3. Research on high speed acquisition by photonics. High speed surface imaging system has been established. World’s fastest line scan microscopic imaging system with 1GHz scanning rate has been reported. We keep close cooperation with UCLA.
• Fangjian Xing, Hongwei Chen, Minghua Chen, Sigang Yang, Hongchen Yu, Shizhong Xie, “World’s fastest real-time line scan microscopic imaging system with 1GHz frame rate”, CLEO-PR 2013, Postdeadline paper PD1b-2.
• Hongwei Chen, Chao Wang, Akio Yazaki, Chanju Kim, Keisuke Goda, Bahram Jalali, “Ultrafast web inspection with hybrid dispersion laser scanner”, Applied Optics, 52(17), Jun. 2013.
• 2013 Excellent young scientist foundation of NSFC
• 2012 First batch of young top-notch talent program sponsored by Ministry of Organization
• 2012 UCLA Outstanding International Scholar
• 2012 Second prize of outstanding achievements in scientific research of the Ministry of Education
• 2010 New Century Excellent Talents in University
• 2009 Nomination of National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation
• 2007 Science and Technology Awards of Beijing, Grade III
• 2006 Excellence Doctor Theme in Tsinghua University, First Prize
• 2004 Asia-Pacific Optical Communications Conference (APOC) 2004 Best Student Paper Award
Hongwei Chen has published over 100 papers on journals and international conferences, including 55 SCI cited papers and over 200 times cited by other researchers, 55 EI cited papers. He holds 12 Chinese patents. His main achievements are in high speed optical transmission system, agile photonic switching technique, microwave photonics and high speed imaging. He is working in close collaboration with internationally renowned universities and research institutions including UCLA, Tokyo University, Japan NICT Institute, UK Heriot-Watt University.