School of Software, Tsinghua University
PhD (Computer Science), September 2003
School of Computing,National University of Singapore
M.Sc. (Communication and Network Systems), July 1999
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering,Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2006.09 ~ Present Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Software, Tsinghua University
2003.11 ~ 2006.07 Lecturer, School of Computer Science and Information Technology, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
2000.07 ~ 2001.09 Research Fellow, School of Computing, National University of Singapore
1999.06 ~ 2000.09 Software Engineer, IBM Singapore
My current research areas are as follows:
• Mining software repositories
• Software quality (software quality assurance, quality prediction, metrics, testing)
• Software maintenance
• Software reuse (generative programming, software product lines)
I am aPrincipalInvestigator of many competitive national and university research grants.
Research Program Committee:
• International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2012, ICSE 2013), Formal Demo Track
• International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM 2013)
• International Working Conference on Mining Software Repository (MSR 2013)
• International Conference on Predictive Models in Software Engineering (PROMISE 2010-2013)
• Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2008-2013)
• Australian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC 2006-2010)
• European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR 2011-2013)
• The International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2012, 2013)
• IEEE International Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Software Engineering (TASE 2009/2012)
• Local chair: 26th European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP 2012, co-located with PLDI 2012).
• Industrial chair: 10th International Conference on Quality Software (QSIC 2012)
• Publicity chair: 15th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2008).
• Co-organizers: ICSE 2009-2012 Workshop on Emerging Trends in Software Metrics (WetSOM 2009-2012).
• Co-organizers: The First International Workshop on Software Mining (co-located with KDD 2012)
I am frequently invited to review submissions for the following international journals:IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Data and Knowledge Engineering, Journal of Systems and Software, Empirical Software Engineering, Software Practice & Experience, 软件学报.
I am a member of IEEE and ACM.
• Hongyu Zhang, Liang Gong, Steve Versteeget al.,Predicting Bug-Fixing Time: An Empirical Study of Commercial Software Projects, inProc. 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'13), SanFrancisco, USA, May 2013. (full industry track paper, 20.4% acceptance rate).
• Fayola Peters, TimMenzies, Liang Gong, Hongyu Zhang, Balancing Privacy and Utility in Cross-Company Defect Prediction, to appear, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., 2013.
• GiulioConcas, Maria IlariaLunesu, Michele Marchesi, Hongyu Zhang, Simulation of Software Maintenance Process, with and without a Work-In-Process Limit, to appear,Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, 2013
• Jian Zhou, Hongyu Zhang, Learning to Rank Duplicate Bug Reports, inProc. 21st ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2012),Maui, Hawaii, Oct 2012. (full paper, 13.4% acceptance rate)
• Jian Zhou, Hongyu Zhang, and David Lo, Where Should the Bugs be Fixed? inProc. 34th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'12), Zurich, Switzerland, June 2012. (full research track paper, 21% acceptance rate).
• Yingnong Dang, Rongxin Wu, Hongyu Zhang, Dongmei Zhang, and Peter Novel, ReBucket – A Method for Clustering Duplicate Crash Reports based on Call Stack Similarity, in Proc. 34th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'12), Zurich, Switzerland, June 2012. (full industry track paper, 18% acceptance rate).
• Jue Wang and Hongyu Zhang, Predicting Defect Numbers based on Defect State Transition Models, Proc. 6th ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM 2012) ,Lund, Sweden, Sep 2012. (fullresearch track paper, 25% acceptance rate).
• Liang Gong, David Lo, Lingxiao Jiang and Hongyu Zhang: Diversity Maximization Speedup for Fault Localization.Proc. International Conference on Automated Software Engineering(ASE 2012), Essen, Germany, Sep 2012. (full paper, 15% acceptance rate)
• Liang Gong, David Lo, Lingxiao Jiang and Hongyu Zhang: Interactive Fault Localization Leveraging Simple User Feedback.Proc. International Conference on Software Maintenance(ICSM 2012), Riva del Garda,Trento, Italy, Sep 2012. (full paper, 25% acceptance rate)
• Ming Li, Hongyu Zhang, Rongxin Wu, Zhi-Hua Zhou: Sample-based software defect prediction with active and semi-supervised learning.Journal Automated Software Engineering,19(2): 201-230, 2012.
• Rongxin Wu, Hongyu Zhang, Sunghun Kim, and S.C.Cheung, ReLink: Recovering Links between Bugs and Changes, in Proc. The joint meeting of the European Software Engineering Conference and the ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE'11), Szeged, Hungary, Sep 5-9 2011. (full research track paper, 16.7% acceptance rate).
• Sunghun Kim, Hongyu Zhang, Rongxin Wu and Liang Gong, Dealing with Noise in Defect Prediction, in Proc. of 33rd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'11), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, May 21-28 2011. (full research track paper, 14% acceptance rate).
• Hongyu Zhang, HeeBengKuan Tan, Lu Zhang, Xi Lin, Xiaoyin Wang,Chun Zhang and Hong Mei, Checking Enforcement of Integrity Constraintsin Database Applications Based on Code Patterns, Journal ofSystems and Software, Elsevier, 84(12), 2011, pp. 2253-2264.
• Hongyu Zhang and Sunghun Kim, Monitoring the Evolution of Software Quality with Respect to Defects, IEEE Software, July/August, 2010, pp. 58-64.
• Hongyu Zhang and Rongxin Wu, Sampling Program Quality, Proc. 26th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM 2010), Timisoara, Romania, September 2010, pp. 1063 -1073.
• Hongyu Zhang, Adam Nelson, Tim Menzies, On the Value of Learning From Defect Dense Components for Software Defect Prediction, Proc. International Conference on Predictor Models in Software Engineering (PROMISE10), Timisoara, Romania, Sep 12-13, 2010.
• Hongyu Zhang and Stan Jarzabek, A Hybrid Approach to Feature-Oriented Programming in XVCL, Proc. 14th International Software Product Line Conference (SPLC 2010), Jeju Island, South Korea, Sep. 2010, pp. 440-445.
• Hongyu Zhang, An Investigation of the Relationships between Lines of Code and Defects, Proc. 5th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM 2009), Edmonton, Canada, September 2009, pp.274-283.
• Lin Liu, Hongyu Zhang, FeiPeng, Wenting Ma, et al, Understanding Chinese Characteristics of Requirements Engineering，Proc. of 17th International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE’09), August 2009, Atlanta, USA, pp. 261-266.
• Stan Jarzabek, Hongyu Zhang, Youpeng Lee, YinxingXue and NaveedShaikh, Increasing Usability of Preprocessing for Feature Management in Product Lines with Queries, Proc. 31st International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2009), Vancouver, Canada, May 2009. (New Ideas and Emerging Results track)
• Hongyu Zhang, Yuan-Fang Li and HeeBengKuan Tan, Measuring Design Complexity of Semantic Web Ontologies, Journal of Systems and Software, 83(5), 2009, pp. 803-814.
• Tan, H B K, Yuan Zhao, and Hongyu Zhang, Conceptual Data Model Based Software Size Estimation for Information System, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), 19(2), 2009.
• Hongyu Zhang, Discovering Power-laws in Computer Programs, Information Processing and Management，45(4), Elsevier, 2009, pp. 477-483.
• Hongyu Zhang, On the Distribution of Software Faults, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., 34(2), 2008.
• Hongyu Zhang, Exploring Regularity in Source Code: Software Science and Zipf's Law, Proc. 15th Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (WCRE 2008), Antwerp, Belgium, October 2008, IEEE Press, pp.101-110.
• Hongyu Zhang and Jenny Zhang, Comments on "data mining static code attributes to learn defect predictors”, IEEE Trans. on Software Eng., SEP 2007, 3 (9): 635-636.
• Hai Wang , Yuan Fang Li, Jing Sun, Hongyu Zhang and Jeff Pan, Verifying Feature Models using OWL, Journal of Web Semantics, Vol 5(2), June 2007, Elsevier, pp. 117-129.
• Stan Jarzabek, Hongyu Zhang, ShenRu, Vu Tung Lam, and Sun Zhenxin, Analysis of Meta-Programs: An Example, International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 16(1), World Scientific, 2006.
• Hongyu Zhang and HeeBengKuan Tan, An Empirical Study of Class Sizes for Large Java Systems, Proc. of14th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2007), Nagoya, Japan, December 2007. IEEE Press, pp. 230-237.
• HeeBengKuan Tan, Yuan Zhao and Hongyu Zhang, Estimating LOC for Information Systems from their Conceptual Data, Proc. of 28th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2006), Shanghai, China, May 2006, pp.321-333.(full research track paper, 9% acceptance rate)
• Hongyu Zhang and Stan Jarzabek, A Bayesian Network Approach to Rational Architectural Design, International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 15(3), World Scientific, 2005, pp. 695-717.
• Jing Sun, Hongyu Zhang, Yuan Fang Li and Hai Wang. Formal Semantics and Verification for Feature Modeling. Proc. of 10th IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS'05), IEEE Press, Shanghai, China, June 2005， pp. 303-312.
• Hongyu Zhang and Stan Jarzabek, XVCL: A Mechanism for Handling Variants in Software Product Lines, Science of Computer Programming, vol. 53 (3), Elsevier Science, 2004, pp. 381-407.
• Stan Jarzabek, Wai Chun Ong and Hongyu Zhang, Handling Variant Requirements in Domain Modeling, Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 68 (3), Elsevier Science, 2003.
• Hongyu Zhang, Stan Jarzabek and Bo Yang,Quality Prediction and Assessment for Product Lines, Proc. of the 15th International ConferenceOn Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE'03), Klagenfurt/Velden, Austria, June 2003. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2681, Springer-Verlag, pp. 681-695.
• Stan Jarzabek, Paul Bassett, Hongyu Zhang, and Weishan Zhang, XVCL: XML-based Variant Configuration Language. Proc. of 25th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2003), pp. 810-811.
• SoeMyatSwe, Hongyu Zhang and Stan Jarzabek, XVCL: A Tutorial, Proc. of 14th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE’02), Ischia, Italy, 2002.ACM Press. pp. 341-349.
• Stan Jarzabek and Hongyu Zhang, XML-based Method and Tool for Handling Variant Requirements in Domain Models, Proc. Fifth IEEE International Symposium on Requirements Engineering (RE’01), Toronto, Canada, August 2001. IEEE Press, pp. 166-173.
• Hongyu Zhang, Stan Jarzabek and SoeMyatSwe, XVCL Approach to Separating Concerns in Product Family Assets, Proc. Third International Symposium on Generative and Component-based Software Engineering (GCSE 2001),Erfurt, Germany, September 2001. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) 2186, Springer-Verlag,pp. 36-47.
Personal Webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/hongyujohn