Dean and Professor, School of Environment,Tsinghua University, China
1990 Ph. D., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University
1987 M. S., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University
1985 B. S., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University
2013.07 – present Dean, School of Environment, Tsinghua University
2007.01 – 2013.07 Deputy dean of graduate school, Tsinghua University
2001.01 – 2001.04 Visiting Professor, Harvard University Center on Environment Study, USA
1998.12 – 2006.12 Director, Office of International Cooperation and Exchange Tsinghua University
1998.06 – 1998.08 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Fuel and Energy, University of Leeds, UK
1997.08 – 1997.11 Visiting Professor, Harvard University Committee on Environment, USA
1996.07 – present Professor, Dept. of Environmental Engineering Tsinghua University
1996.01–1996.04 Senior Visiting Scholar, Harvard School of Public Health, USA
1992.12 – 1996.06 Associate professor, Dept. of Environmental Engineering Tsinghua University
1993.01–1994.01 Senior Visiting Scholar, Technical University of Denmark,
1990.08 – 1992.11 Lecturer, Dept. of Environmental Engineering Tsinghua University
Honors & Awards
First-class Prize of Sci. &Tech. Progress Award for Chinese Universities (2014)
Second-class Prize of National Sci. &Tech. Progress Award (2011)
Second-class Prize of National Sci. & Tech. Progress Award (2010)
Second-class Prize of National Natural Science Award (2009)
First-class Prize of Sci. & Tech. Progress Award for Chinese Universities (2009)
First-class Prize of Natural Science Award for Chinese Universities (2007)
Second-class Prize of Sci. & Tech. Progress Award for Chinese Universities (2001)
First-class Prize of Sci. & Tech. Progress Award for Chinese Universities (1999)
First-class Prize of Sci. & Tech. Progress Award, State EPA (1997)
Current Professional Positions
Member, International Committee for Clean Transportation
China working group chair, Global Emission Inventory Activity (GEIA),
Board member, Clean Air Asia
Member of the Council, China Energy Research Society
Senior Member, The Chinese Society of Environmental Sciences
He has over 20 years of research experience in air pollution control. His main expertise includes complex fine particulate air pollution control, emission quantification and source identification, and multi-pollutants control. His research has substantially promoted the air quality management and regulation system development. Up to now, he has published more than 260 peer reviewed papers in the academic journals, including Nature, PNAS, Environ. Sci. & Tech., ACP and JGR, and got 8 papers selected into ESI highly cited papers. He is selected as “2014 Chinese highly cited researcher” by Elsevier. He had over 10 times of prizes and awards, including 1nd Prize of Sci. &Tech. Progress Award and the 2nd Prize of National Science & Technology Progress Award. He has been severed as an Air Quality Support Expert in Beijing Olympic, Shanghai World Expo, and Guangzhou Asian Games.
1. National Key Technology Support Program (2014BAC22B00) : Key Technology Research and Application for Joint Prevention and Control of Regional Air Pollution in the Yangtze River Delta, 2014-2017, Technical Director.
2. China’s Public Program of Ministry of Environmental Protection (201309072): Control and Regulatory System of PM2.5 Source Emissions, 2013-2014.
3. China’s Public Program of Ministry of Environmental Protection (201209007): Emission Characteristics and Control Policies of typical Soot Particles, 2013-2014.
4. Funds for Creative Research Groups of China (21221004): Chemistry of Multimedia Complex Pollution and Control, 2012 - 2015
5. Major Program of China’s National Natural Science Foundation (21190054): Chemical Characteristics and Formation Mechanism of Secondary Aerosols, 2012-2016.
6. General Program of China’s National Natural Science Foundation (51278272):
7. Consultation Program of Chinese Academy of Engineering: Emission Characteristics and Reduction Policies of Atmospheric Pollutants in Jing-Jin-Ji Area.
8. Three-Years’ Intensive Action Plan on Air Pollution Prevention and Initial Construction on the Dynamic Evaluation System of Air Quality Objective Management in Hebei Province. 2014.11 – 2015.7
1. Lin, JT; Pan, D ; Davis, SJ; Zhang, Q ; He, KB; Wang, C ; Streets, DG ; Wuebbles, DJ ; Guan, DB;China's international trade and air pollution in the United States,PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,2014,111,1736-1741
2. B. Zheng, Q. Zhang, Y. Zhang, K. B. He, K. Wang, G. J. Zheng, F. K. Duan, Y. L. Ma, and T. Kimoto;Heterogeneous chemistry: a mechanism missing in current models to explain secondary inorganic aerosol formation during the January; 2013 haze episode in North China，Atmos. Chem. Phys., 15, 2031–2049, 2015
3. Zhang, Q.，He KB， H. Huo，Cleaning China’s air，2012， Nature, 484, 161-162, doi:10.1038/484161a。
4. Lei,Y., Zhang,Q, He KB，Streets,D.G.，Primary Anthropogenic Aerosol Emission Trends for China,， Atmos. Chem. Phys.，11,931-954
5. He KB，Q. Zhao, Y. Ma, F. Duan, F. Yang, Z. Shi, and G. C，Spatial and seasonal variability of PM2.5 acidity at two Chinese megacities: insights into the formation of secondary inorganic aerosols，2012：Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12(3),1377-1395
6. Huo,H., Zhang,Q., He KB， Wang,Q., Yao,Z., Streets,D.，High-resolution Vehicular Emission Inventory using a Link-based Method: a Case Study of Light-duty Vehicles in Beijing，2010， Environ Sci Technol, 43, 2394-2399
7. Jia,Y., Rahn,K., He KB，Wen,T., Wang,Y.A novel technique for quantifying the regional component of urban aerosol solely from its sawtooth cycles，2008：J. Geophys. Res., 113, D21309, doi:10.1029/2008JD010389.
8. Cheng,Y., Duan,F., He KB，Zheng,M., Ma,Y., Tan,J., Du,Z.， Positive Sampling Artifact of Carbonaceous Aerosols and Its Influence on the Thermal-optical Split of OC/EC，2009， Atmos. Chem. Phys.，9（18），7243-7256
9. Yang,F., He KB，Ye,B., Chen,X., Cha,L., Cadle,S., Chan,T.，One-year Record of Organic and Elemental Carbon in Fine Particles in Downtown Beijing and Shanghai，2005， Atmos. Chem. Phys.，5,1449-1457
10. He KB，F. Yang，Y. Ma，Q. Zhang，X. Yao，C. K. Chan，S. Cadle， The Characteristics of PM2.5 in Beijing，China，2001, Atmos. Environ., 35（29），4959-4970