Professor, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University
Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences Chang Jiang Scholar
Members of Editorial Board for Langmuir, European Polymer Journal, International Journal of Applied Chemistry, Acta Polymerica Sinica, Progress in Natural Science, Chinese Journal of Chemistry, Chem. J. Chin. Univ.
Executive Editor for Chinese Science Bulletin
Guest professors: SUNYAT-SEN University, Nankai University, Jilin University, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry (CAS)
- Supramolecular assembly
- Organized molecular films
- Single molecule force spectroscopy of polymers
1994-2003, Professor of Polymer Chemistry and Physics, College of Chemistry, Jilin University
1997-2003, Director of Key Lab for Supramolecular Structure and Materials, Jilin University
Aug.1994-Feb.1995, Visiting Scientist: University of Mainz, Germany (Advisor: Prof. Helmut Ringsdorf)
1992, Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Jilin University, China and University of Mainz, Germany
Awards & Honors
Young Chemist Award of the Chinese Chemical Society, 1997
Outstanding Young Investigator Fund, Natural Science Foundation of China, 1997.
Excellent teacher, special rating, BaoGang Educational Foundation, 1997
Outstanding Young Scholar, Hong Kong QiuShi Science and Technology Foundation, 1998
National Natural Science Award (2nd grade, together with Prof. Jiacong Shen), 2004
Chinese Chemical Society-BASF Innovation Award, 2005
Science and Technology Award for Chinese Youth, 2006
Selected Publications Books or Chapters：
1. Chapter 37: Interfacial Molecular Assembly for Pattern Formation, Xi Zhang, Hongyu Zhang and Zhiqiang Wang .《Bottom-Up Nanofabrication》, Eds. K. Ariga and H. S. Nalwa, American Scientific Publishers, 2007
2. Chapter 30: Force Spectroscopy of Polymers: Beyond Single Chain Mechanics, Xi Zhang, Chuanjun Liu and Weiqing Shi. 《Physical Properties of Polymer Handbook》, 2nd Edition, Ed. J. E. Mark, Springer, 2006
3. 《Macromolecular Self-Assembly》Chinese Edition. Ming Jiang, Adi Eisenberg, Guojun Liu, Xi Zhang. Science Press, 2006
4. Chapter 11: Layered nanoarchitecture based on electro- and photo-active building blocks, Xi Zhang, Junqi Sun and Jiacong Shen. 《Multilayer Thin Films: Sequential assembly of nanocomposite materials》", Published by Wiley-VCH, 2003
5. Chapter 9: Enzyme multilayer films: A way to assemble microreactors and biosensors Xi Zhang, Yipeng Sun, Jiacong Shen. 《Protein Architecture: Interfacing molecular assemblies and immobilization biotechnology》, Published by Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2000
Academic Papers (since 2004 only ):
1. Xi Zhang, Huan Chen and Hongyu Zhang, Layer-by-layer assembly: from conventional to unconventional methods, Chem. Commun., 2007, 1395-1405. Invited feature article
2. Yapei Wang, Ning Ma, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Photo-controlled reversible supramolecular assembly of an azobenzene-containing surfactant with α-cyclodextrin, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 46, 2823-2826.
3. Hao Wei, Ning Ma, Feng Shi, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Artificial nacre by alternating preparation of layer-by-layer polymer films and CaCO3 strata. Chem. Mater., 2007, 19, 1974-1978.
4. Shouchun Yin, Bo Song, Guanqing Liu, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Self-organization of polymerizable bolaamphiphiles bearing diacetylene mesogenic group, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 5936-5941.
5. Jia Niu, Feng Shi, Zan Liu, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Reversible disulfide cross-linking in layer-by-layer films: Preassembly enhanced loading and pH/reductant dually controllable release, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 6377-6384.
6. Feng Shi, Zan Liu, Guanglu Wu, Meng Zhang, Huan Chen, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang and Itamar Willner, Surface imprinting in layer-by-layer nanostructured films, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2007, 17, 1821-1827.
7. Yiheng Zhang, Chuanjun Liu, Weiqing Shi, Zhiqiang Wang, Liming Dai and Xi Zhang, Direct measurements of the interaction between pyrene and graphite in aqueous media by single molecule force spectroscopy: Understanding the pi-pi interactions, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 7911-7915.
8. Hongyu Zhang, Dong Wang, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Hydrogen bonded layer-by-layer assembly of poly(2-vinylpyridine) and poly(acrylic acid): Influence of molecular weight on the formation of microporous film by post-base treatment, European Polymer Journal, 2007, 43, 2784-2791.
9. Jian Gao, Yaning He, Fang Liu, Xi Zhang, Zhiqiang Wang and Xiaogong Wang, Azobenzene-containing supramolecular side-chain polymer films for laser-induced surface relief gratings, Chem. Mater., 2007, 19, 3877 -3881.
10. Jian Gao, Yaning He, Huaping Xu, Bo Song, Xi Zhang, Zhiqiang Wang and Xiaogong Wang, Azobenzene-containing supramolecular polymer films for laser-induced surface relief gratings, Chem. Mater., 2007, 19, 14-17.
11. Feng Shi, Jia Niu, Zan Liu, Zhiqiang Wang, Mario Smet, Wim Dehaen, Yong Qiu and Xi Zhang, To adjust wetting properties of organic surface by in-situ photoreaction of aromatic azide, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 1253-1257.
12. Yugui Jiang, Yapei Wang, Ning Ma, Zhiqiang Wang, Mario Smet and Xi Zhang, Reversible self-organization of a UV-responsive PEG-terminated malachite green derivative: vesicle formation and photoinduced disassembly, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 4029-4034.
13. Chuanjun Liu, Zhenhua Jiang, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, The unwinding of surfactant-induced helical structure of carboxymethyl amylose by single molecule force spectroscopy, Polymer, 2007, 48, 2030-2034.
14. Chuanjun Liu, Zhenhua Jiang, Yiheng Zhang, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Fude Feng and Shu Wang, Intercalation interactions between dsDNA and acridine studied by single molecule force spectroscopy, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 9140-9142.
15. Feng Shi, Jia Niu, Jianlin Liu, Fang Liu, Zhiqiang Wang, Xiqiao Feng and Xi Zhang, Towards understanding why a superhydrophobic coating is needed by water striders, Adv. Mater., 2007, 19, 2257-2261.
16. Bo Song, Hao Wei, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Supramolecular nanofibers by self-organization of bolaamphiphiles through combination of hydrogen bonding and pi-pi stacking interaction, Adv. Mater., 2007, 19, 416-420.
17. Huan Chen, Guanghong Zeng, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, To construct "ion traps" for enhancing the permselectivity and permeability of polyelectrolyte multilayer films, Macromolecules, 2007, 40, 653-660.
18. Weiqing Shi, Marina I. Giannotti, Xi Zhang, Mark A. Hempenius, Holger Schönherr and G. Julius Vancso, Closed mechanoelectrochemical cycles of individual single-chain macromolecular motors by AFM, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 46, 8400-8404
19. Xunyu Yang, Jia Wang, Xi Zhang, Zhiqiang Wang and Yue Wang, STM study on 2D molecular assemblies of luminescent quinacridone derivatives: structure fine-tuned by introducing bulky substitutes and coadsorption with monofuctional/bifunctional acid, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 1287-1291.
20. Ning Ma, Yapei Wang, Baoyu Wang, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Guang Wang and Yue Zhao, The interaction between block copolymer micelles and azobenzene-containing surfactants: from co-assembly in water to layer-by-layer assembly at interface, Langmuir, 2007, 23, 2874-2878.
21. Michael Riskin, Bernhard Basner, Vladimir I. Chegel, Eugenii Katz, Itamar Willner, Feng Shi, and Xi Zhang, Switchable surface properties through the electrochemical or biocatalytic generation of Ag0 nanoclusters on monolayer-functionalized electrodes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128,1253-1260.
22. Shilong Bai, Zhiqiang Wang, Jian Gao and Xi Zhang, Hydrogen-bonding-directed layer-by-layer polymer films: Substrate effect on the microporous morphology variation, European Polymer Journal, 2006, 42, 900-907.
23. Xi Zhang, G. Julius Vancso, Editorial for special issue on single chain polymers, Polymer, 2006, 47, 2482.
24. Yugui Jiang, Zhiqiang Wang, Huaping Xu, Huan Chen, Xi Zhang, Mario Smet, Wim Dehaen, Yoshiaki Hirano and Yukihiro Ozaki, Investigation into pH-responsive self-assembled monolayers of acylated anthranilate-terminated alkane thiol on a gold surface, Langmuir, 2006, 22, 3715-3720.
25. Yapei Wang, Huaping Xu, Ning Ma, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Junqiu Liu and Jiacong Shen, Block copolymer micelles as matrixes for incorporating diselenide compounds: a model system for a water-soluble glutathione peroxidase mimic fine-tuned by ionic strength.Langmuir, 2006, 22, 5552-5555.
26. Chuanjun Liu, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Force spectroscopy of single-chain polysaccharides: force-induced conformational transition of amylase disappears under environment of micelle solution, Macromolecules, 2006, 39, 3480-3483.
27. Bo Song, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Stabilizing interfacial micellar aggregates by enhanced supramolecular interaction or surface polymerization, Pure Appl. Chem., 2006,78, 1015-1023
28. Feng Shi, Zhiqiang Wang and Xi Zhang, Combining a layer-by-layer assembling technique with electrochemical deposition of gold aggregates to mimic the legs of water striders, Adv. Mater., 2005, 17, 1005-1009.
29. Xunyu Yang, Zhongcheng Mu, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Jia Wang and Yue Wang, STM study on quinacridone derivative assemblies: modulation of the two-dimensional structure by coadsorption with dicarboxylicacids, Langmuir, 2005, 21, 7225-7229.
30. Weiqing Shi, Zhiqiang Wang, Shuxun Cui, Xi Zhang and Zhishan Bo, Force spectroscopy on dendronized poly(p-phenylene)s: revealing the chain elasticity and the interfacial interaction, Macromolecules, 2005, 38, 861-866.
31. Jing Sun, Liyan Wang, Xi Yu, and Xi Zhang, Single-component films of different generations of dendrimers bearing a diphenylanthracene core, European Polymer Journal, 2005, 41, 1219-1224.
32. Bin Dong, Michael Krutschke, Xi Zhang, Lifeng Chi and Harald Fuchs, Fabrication of polypyrrole wires between microelectrodes, Small, 2005, 1, 520-524.
33. Mario Smet, Yu Fu, Xi Zhang, Etienne H. Schacht and Wim Dehaen, A convenient A2+B3 approach to hyperbranched poly(aryleneoxindole)s, Macromol. Rapid Commun., 2005, 26, 1458-1463.
34. Xi Zhang, Feng Shi, Xi Yu, Huan Liu, Yu Fu, Zhiqiang Wang, Lei Jiang and Xiaoyuan Li, Polyelectrolyte multilayer as matrix for electrochemical deposition of gold clusters: toward super-hydrophobic surface, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004, 126, 3064-3065.
35. Xi Zhang, Mingfeng Wang, Tao Wu, Shichun Jiang and Zhiqiang Wang, In situ gamma ray-initiated polymerization to stabilize surface Micelles, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004, 126, 6572-6573.
36. Xi Zhang, Huaping Xu, Zeyuan Dong, Yapei Wang, Junqiu Liu and Jiacong Shen, Highly efficient dendrimer-based mimic of glutathione peroxidase, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004, 126, 10556-10557.
37. Shuxun Cui, Chuanjun Liu, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Satu Strandman and Heikki Tenhu, Single molecule force spectroscopy on polyelectrolytes: effect of spacer on adhesion force and linear charge density on rigidity, Macromolecules, 2004, 37, 946-953.
38. Zhongcheng Mu, Xunyu Yang, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Jinling Zhao and Zhishan Bo, Influence of substituents on two-dimensional ordering of oligo(phenylene-ethynylene)s-a scanning tunneling microscopy study, Langmuir, 2004, 20, 8892-8896.
39. Shilong Bai, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang and Bin Wang, Hydrogen-bonding-directed layer-by-layer films: effect of electrostatic interaction on the microporous morphology variation, Langmuir, 2004, 20, 11828-11832.
40. Zhongcheng Mu, Zhiqiang Wang, Xi Zhang, Kaiqi Ye and Yue Wang, Two-dimensional supramolecular assemblies of quinacridone derivatives: from achiral to chiral racemates and domains, J. Phys. Chem. B., 2004, 108, 19955-19959.
Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University Beijing 100084, P.R. China
Phone +86-10-62796283, Fax +86-10-6271149