Professor, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University
Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
Member, Advisory Committee of National Science & Technology Awards of China
Member, Editorial board of Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, Energy and Power Engineering, and Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration.
- Hydropower and Dam Structures, especially on Seismic Engineering of High Dams
1988-now, Professor, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University
1982-1988, Associate Professor, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University
1978-1981, Visiting Scientist, University of California at Berkeley
1957-1982, Lecturer, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University
1965, Tsinghua University, Beijing, M.S.
1957, Tsinghua University, Beijing, B.S.
1978, Prize of State Science and Technology Congress
1990, 1st Prize of Beijing Outstanding Educational Achievement
1995, 1997, 2nd Prizes of Science & Technology Progress from the Ministry of
1998, 2nd Prize of Science & Technology Progress from the Ministry of Electric Power
Awards & Honors
2008, 2012, 2nd Prize of State Science & Technology Progress
2002, 2nd Prize of China Electric Power Technology
2001, 1st Prize of State Outstanding Educational Achievement
1999, 3rd Prize of State Natural Science
1998, 2006, 2011, 1st Prize of Science & Technology Progress from the Ministry of
1. Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin, Jinting Wang and Yanjie Xu. Nonlinear Behavior and Seismic Safety Evaluation of Concrete Dams. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2012.
2. Chuhan Zhang, Guanglun Wang and Feng Jin. Hydraulic Structures. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2011. (in Chinese)
3. Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin, Yanli Hou and Yuande Zhou. Discrete-Contact-Fracture Analysis of Rock and Concrete. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2008. (in Chinese)
4. Chuhan Zhang (Editor). Science Frontiers in Water Resources and Hydropower Engineering. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2002. (in Chinese)
5. Chuhan Zhang et al. Numerical Modelling of Concrete Dam-Foundation-Reservoir Systems. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2001.
6. Chuhan Zhang and John Wolf (Editors). Dynamic Soil-Structure Interaction. Elsevier Science B. V., Netherlands, 1998.
1. Mingxin Wu, Chuan Qin, Chuhan Zhang. High strain rate splitting tensile tests of concrete and numerical simulation by meso-scale particle element. ASCE, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2013. (in press)
2. Jinting Wang, Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin. Nonlinear earthquake analysis of high arch dam–water–foundation rock systems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2012, 41(7): 1157-1176.
3. Jianwen Pan, Chuhan Zhang, Yanjie Xu, Feng Jin. A comparative study of the different procedures for seismic cracking analysis of concrete dams. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 2011, 31(11): 1594–1606.
4. Chuhan Zhang. The performance of dams during the Wenchuan 5-12 earthquake and lessons learned from the event. Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 2011, 5: 309-327.
5. Chuan Qin, Chuhan Zhang. Numerical Study of Dynamic Behavior of Concrete by Meso-Scale Particle Element Modeling. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2011, 38: 1011-1021.
6. Xinwei Tang, Yuande Zhou, Chuhan Zhang, Jianjun Shi. Study on the heterogeneity of concrete and its failure behavior using the equivalent probabilistic model. ASCE, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2011, 23(4): 402-413.
7. Changqing Guo, Chuhan Zhang, MP Paidoussis. Modification of equation of motion of fluid-conveying pipe for laminar and turbulent flow profiles. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 2010, 26(5): 793-803.
8. Chuhan Zhang, Jianwen Pan, Jinting Wang. Influence of seismic input mechanisms and radiation damping on arch dam response. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 2009, 29: 1282-1293.
9. Jianwen Pan, Chuhan Zhang, Jinting Wang, Yanjie Xu. Seismic damage-cracking analysis of arch dams using different earthquake input mechanisms. Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, 2009, 52(2):518-529.
10. Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin. Seismic safety evaluation of high concrete dams part I: state of the art design and research. The 14th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering, Oct. 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China. (Keynote)
11. Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin, Jianwen Pan, Yuchuan Long. Seismic safety evaluation of high concrete dams part II: earthquake behavior of arch dams: case study. The 14th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering, Oct. 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China
12. Yuchuan Long, Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin. Numerical simulation of reinforcement strengthening for high-arch dams to resist strong earthquakes. Earthquake engineering and structural dynamics, 2008, 37(15): 1739-1761.
13. Xinwei Tang, Chuhan Zhang, Jianjun Shi. A multiphase mesostructure mechanics approach to the study of the fracture-damage behavior of concrete. Science in China Series E-Technological Sciences, 2008, 51(s2):8-24.
14. Chuhan Zhang, Challenges of high dam construction to computational mechanics. Computational Mechanics, WCCM VI in conjunction with APCOM'04, Sept. 5-10, 2004, Beijing, China.
15. Chuhan Zhang, Yuntao Ren, OA Pekau, Feng Jin. Time-Domain boundary element method for underground structures in orthotropic media. ASCE, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 2004, 130(1): 105-116.
16. Junyi Yan, Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin. A coupling procedure of FE and SBFE for soil-structure interaction in the time domain. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2004, 59(11): 1453-1471.
17. Feng Jin, Chuhan Zhang, Gang Wang, Guanglun Wang. Creep modeling in excavation analysis of a high rock slope. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2003, 129(9): 849-857.
18. Chuhan Zhang, Guanglun Wang, Shaomin Wang, Yuexing Dong. Experimental tests on RCC and nonlinear seismic safety evaluation of RCC dams. ASCE, Journal of Material in Civil Engineering, 2002, 14, 108-115.
19. Chuhan Zhang, Chengda Yan, Guanglun Wang. Numerical simulation of reservoir sediment and effects on hydro-dynamic response of arch dams. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2001, 30, 1817-1837.
20. Chuhan Zhang, Yanjie Xu, Guanglun Wang, Jin Feng. Nonlinear seismic response of arch dams with contraction joint opening and joint reinforcements. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2000, 29: 1547-1566.
21. Chuhan Zhang, Xinfeng Chen, Guanglun Wang. A coupling model of FE-BE-IBE for nonlinear layered soil-structure interaction. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 1999, 28: 421-441.
22. HaixiaoLiu, Chuhan Zhang, Zhen Li. Photoelastic studies for composite dynamics. Journal of Materials Science, 1999, 34(14): 3479-3487.
23. Yuexing Dong, Chuhan Zhang, Guanglun Wang. Strain factor ratio criterion for crack extension in anisotropic plates. ASCE, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 1999, 125: 119-122.
24. Chuhan Zhang, OA Pekau, Feng Jin, Wang Guanglun. Application of distinct element method in dynamic analysis of high rock slopes and blocky structures. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 1997, 16: 385-394.
25. Qinbin Li, Chuhan Zhang, Guanglun Wang. Dynamic damage constitutive model of concrete in uniaxial tension. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 1996, 53(3): 449-455.
26. Chuhan Zhang, Feng Jin, OA Pekau. Time domain procedure of FE-BE-IBE coupling for seismic interaction for arch dams and canyons. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 1995, 24: 1651-1666.
27. Chuhan Zhang, Chongmin Song, OA Pekau. Infinite boundary elements for dynamic problems of 3-D half space. International Journal for Numerical methods in Engineering, 1991, 31: 447-462.
28. Chuhan Zhang, Chongbin Zhao. Coupling method of finite and infinite elements for strip foundation wave problems. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 1987, 15: 839-851.
29. Guangdou Zhang, Chuhan Zhang, Weixian Li, Guanglun Wang. Dynamic field measurement and analysis of Quanshui arch dam. Scientia Sinica, 1986, 29(4): 423-438.
30. Ray W Clough, Chuhan Zhang. Seismic cavitation effects on gravity dams. Numerical Methods in Coupled Systems, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Edited by R. Lewis et al., 1984, Chapter 21, 571-598.