Professor, Department of Urban Studies, Tsinghua University
Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Member, Chinese Academy of Engineering
Director, Institute of Architectural and Urban Studies, Tsinghua University 1st Class National Certificated Architect, National Certificated Urban Planner
Honorary Fellow of American Institute of Architects
Honorary Member of Architectural Institute of Japan
Honorary Fellow of Royal Institute of British Architects
Foreign Member of Russian Academia of Construction Science
Foreign Member of Bulgaria International Academia of Architecture
Member of French Academia of Architectural Science
- Science of Human Settlement, Architecture, Urban Design, Urban studies and regional studies, etc.
1946-now, Tsinghua University, Beijing
1949, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA, Master of Architecture and Urban Design
1944, Department of Architecture, National Central University, Chongqing, Bachelor of Architecture
Awards & Honors
2006 The First Prize of the 4th Architecture Design Award for the Project of Research Institute of Confucius, (Architectural Sociaty of China)
2006 The Excellent Prize of the 4th Architecture Design Award for the Project of Campus Planning and Design of the Central Academy of Fine Arts (Architectural Sociaty of China)
2004, 1st Prize of Beijing Teaching Production Award for High Education
2003, 1st Prize of National Excellent Book Award for science and technology and the Mention of National Book Award on the book of Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Greater Beijing Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei)
2003, 1st Prize for Excellent Architecture design, Ministry of Education, China, on the Campus Planning and Design of the Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
2002, Prince Claus Funds Award
2000, 2nd Prize for the Scientific and Technological Research Progress, Ministry of Education, China, on the Planning Research Project of the Yangtze River Delta Region
2000, 1st Liang Ssu-ch'eng (Liang Sicheng) National Award of Architecture, Ministry of Construction, China
1999, Cavalier Medal of Culture & Art for significant contribution to the cultural exchange between China and France, French Government
1996, Jean Tschumi Prize, International Union of Architects
1995, Award of Science & Technology Achievement, Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation
Published several books and more than 200 academic papers including:
1. Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Capital Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2006
2. Zhang Jian and Nantong City, a Pioneering City of Modern China. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2006.
3. Buildings, Cities and Human Settlements. Shijiazhuang: Hebei Education Press, 2003
4. Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Greater Beijing Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2002
5. UIA Beijing Charter: The Future of Architecture (English and Chinese Versions). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2002
6. Pictorial notes of by WU Liangyong. Beijing: Sanlian Press, 2002
7. Selected Essays on Arts and Culture. Beijing: China Youth Press, 2002
8. Introduction Sciences of Human Settlements. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2001.
9. Reflection at the Turn of the Century: The Future of Architecture. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 1999.
10. Rehabilitating the Old City of Beijing: A Project in the Ju'er Hutong Neighborhood (English). UBC Press, 1999.
11. Conservation and Development of the Built Environment in the Economically Developed Regions Amid Rapid Urbanization in China. Beijing: Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2001.
12. Towards A New Century: Wu Liangyong's Selected Essays on Urban Studies 1987-96. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1996.
13. The Old City Of Beijing And Its Ju'er Hutong Neighborhood. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1994.
14. China's Urban and Rural Construction: Today and Tomorrow. Beijing: China City Press, 1994.
15. A General Theory of Architecture. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 1990. Taipei: Earth-scape Press, 1992.
16. Selected Essays on Urban Planning and Design. Beijing: Yanshan Press, 1987.
17. A Brief History of Ancient Chinese City Planning (English edition). Kassel: Gesamthochschulbibliothek, 1985.
18. Town and Country Planning (as a textbook). Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1961.
Phone +86-10-62784567, Fax +86-10-62783328