Prof. Cheng，physical organic chemist, members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS). He currently serves as the director of the Center of Basic Molecular Science, Tsinghua University. He received his B.Sc. from Tianjin Normal University (1975), M.Sc. from Nankai University (1981), and Ph.D. from Northwestern University, USA (1987). His academic career started from Nankai university where he is professor of chemistry since 1990 and vice president from 1995 to 2000. He served as Vice Minister of Sci. & Tech. of China in 2000-2008. He is the member of the Steering Committee and Vice Chairman of the Education-Science-Culture-Health Commission of the NPC of China, member of the State Education Consulting Committee and of the State Sci. & Tech. Award Committee of China, and the Vice President of the China Western Returned Scholars Association. His research contributions include various bond energies in solution, thermodynamic stability of radicals, NO transfer driving forces and mechanisms, NADH-mediated reaction thermodynamics and mechanisms, hydride chemistry, unified Ylides stability scale, and organocatalysis, etc..
1. Deng H, Li X, Chu Y, He J, Cheng JP, The standard pKa scales of carbon-centered indicator acids in ionic liquids: Effect of media and structural implication, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 7291–7298.
2. Liu C, Tan BX, Zhang YY, Jin JL, Dong N, Li X, Cheng JP, Chiral Biscinchona Alkaloid Promoted Asymmetric Allylic Alkylation of 3-Substituted Benzofunan-2(3H)-ones with Morita–Baylis–Hillman Carbonates, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2011, 76, 5838-5845.
3. Fu NK, Zhang L, Li JY, Luo SZ, Cheng JP, Chiral Primary Amine Catalyzed Enantioselective Protonation via an Enamine Intermediate, Angewante Chemie International Edition, 2011, 50, 11251-11455.
4. Lv J, Zhang L, Zhou YM, Nie ZX, Luo SZ, Cheng JP, Asymmetric Binary Acid Catalysis: A Regioselectivity Switch between Enantioselective 1,2- and 1,4-Addition through Different Counteranions of InIII, Angewante Chemie International Edition, 2011, 50, 6610–6614.
5. Zheng XX, Zhang L, Li JY, Luo SZ, Cheng JP, Magnetic Nanoparticle supported polyoxometalates (POMs) via non-covalent interaction: reusable acid catalysts and catalyst supports for chiral amines, Chemical Communication, 2011, 47, 12325-12327.