Bring Down the “Moon” and Give it to You

The moon is a special star as it’s a carrier of people’s emotions at all times and does that all over the world, and that’s also the reason for how the famous song goes, “the moon represents my heart”. In the past, “bring down the moon and give it to you” was just a joke, or only stood for the deep emotions between lovers. Now Mr. Wang Shidong and Beijing Zeegine Technology Co., Ltd., a company founded by him, turned “the moon” into a touchable and a real object.

In fact, the team, including Mr. Wang Shidong, simulates the surface of the moon by taking advantage of 3D printing technology. The printed product is a micro edition of a lunar lamp. Nevertheless, it is always easier said than done. The realization of technology is not only about creativity. The terrain on the surface of the moon is largely rugged, therefore, a grey-scale map is required if you want to simulate the moon truly and vividly. The dark place is the lunar mare (valley), and the bright part is the mountain peak. Since the period of rotation of the moon is just the same with its period of revolution around the earth, we can only see half of the moon with our eyes, which accounts for approximately 59% of the lunar surface and the rest 41% seems to be mysterious.

“The lunar lamp printed by 3D technology mimics the lunar surface in the light of the lunar exploration pictures, and is absolutely authentic. The model surface of the lunar lamp is made by a virtue of 3D modeling restoring technology based on a grey-scale image. And the concave, convex, light, and shade are shown by different light transmittance through relief with different thickness on the surface of the lamp,” introduced by Mr. Wang Shidong. He and his team have researched over NASA and all kinds of astronomy websites to find the grey-scale map as far as possible for accurate modeling.

Hereafter, they thought that the moon ought to reflect the sunlight. If they want their product to give out light, it has to have its own light source, of which the light is transmitted from the inside. Thereupon, a clear idea of “lunar lamp” comes out. This mini-moon can be used not only for decoration, but also for lighting. Through converting gray-scale value by programming and multiple 3D printing model designs and other processes, they finally finished the original design of lunar lamp after over three months. Eventually, a lunar lamp with a diameter of 375px can be printed after being spirally carved for 1,000 minutes and piled up 1,200 layers of texture under a precision of below 0.2mm.

Afterwards, Mr. Wang Shidong and his team further improved the technology of the lunar lamp. The general incandescent bulb, fluorescent lamp, and LED etc. can be used for a light source, and there are two sizes, 375px and 500px, for the lamp. Either button or touch switch can be used, and rechargeable battery with 12-hour of battery life is installed therein. The current lunar lamp product not only perfectly copies the appearance of the moon in three dimensions, but also has multiple functions, including lighting, sight viewing, and decoration etc.

This lunar lamp is not the first work of Mr. Wang’s team. Born in 1989, he graduated from Department of Automotive Engineering at Tsinghua University with a bachelor degree, and Tsinghua University and in RWTH Aachen University with a master degree. In 2013, Mr. Wang, Mr. Zhang Kangkang, and other several like-minded schoolmates started their business, and they researched and developed 3D printer use for homes, and began to make 3D printed products. In 2014, they founded the Beijing Zeegine Technology Co., Ltd. and continued their R&D of products in the field of 3D printing technology. The lunar lamp is their representative product, and they hope they could turn science and technology into handheld lights, making peoples’ lives brighter and warmer.

Note: This issue specifically referenced the article titled “Bring down the ‘Moon’ and Give it to you” published in the newspaper Beijing Daily on May 27,2016.

    Contributor

    Department of Automotive Engineering

     

    Originality

    Spotlight Group

     

    Text

    Anish Vincent Pandey

     

    Image

    Zhao Cuncun

     

    Composition

    Zhao Xin,Yin Xia, Zhang Geming, Zhang Zheng

     

    Design

    Wang Yin, Zhang Ying, Guo Jie